What are heat protectants?
Heat protectants are products designed, at the minimum, to protect hair from heat damage. Heat protectants are mostly used to protect hair from curling irons, blow dryers, and other heat specific products used on hair. Most Protectants use one or both of some form of the chemicals Cyclomethicone and Dimethicone. Both compounds help in similar ways to coat the hair as a protectant and to hold in nutrients.
Do heat protectants actually work?
There have been multiple studies that show heat protectants do actually keep hair from being damaged. As a matter of fact most beauty experts agree that a good heat protectant is a must. In a beauty tips round table almost every beauty expert on this panel mentions the need for a heat protectant. Micheal Duenas, hairstylist and founder of hair room in New York, is on record explaining the benefits. Duenas explains “A heat protectant adds moisture to your hair, preventing the natural moisture to evaporate. It also forms a protective barrier over the cuticle on the hair strand, preventing heat damage and enabling your hair to keep its high shine.” For the full conversation with Duenas you can visit here.
Benefits of a good heat protectant-
Heat protectants offer a large variety of benefits for your hair.
- They are designed to fill porous areas of your hair making it less frizzy even in the most humid of days.
- You should apply heat protectant while your hair is wet, so most heat protectants have a lubrication making it easier to detangle and soft to touch.
- Prevents moisture loss by giving a protection layer during your heat styling session.
- A good heat protectant has moisturizers that will help replenish your hair’s oils and prevent dehydration.
How to apply a heat protectant-
- Section your hair- It is a lot easier to use your protectant in sections.
- Use a comb- By combing your hair, you are essentially messaging in the heat protectant. A comb allows you to coat your whole hair and make sure all the nutrients properly cover as many hair follicles as possible.
- Use your Hands- Did we mention it’s important to message in the heat protectants nutrients? Using your hand allows you to feel for dry/unappreciated areas.
- Wait- Your hair should be dry everywhere before starting to style your hair with a curling iron or wand. If your hair is still wet, then there is a good chance it does not have the proper coating yet to get full benefits of the heat protectant. Make sure your hair is dry to get all the advantages and maximum results.
Heat Protectants work. Finding a good protectant can not only protect your hair from heat styling but can provide nutrients for your hair. An excellent guide to the best heat protectants can be found here . Finding the right protectant for you can lead to great healthy hair.