Let’s start by the beginning:
A dental implant is a substitute for the root of a tooth. Like the roots of teeth, dental implants are fixed in the jaw bone and are not visible once they are surgically placed. They are used for safe crowns (the parts of the teeth seen in the mouth), bridges or dentures by a variety of means. They are made of titanium, which is lightweight, strong and biocompatible, which means that it is not rejected by the body. Titanium and titanium alloys are the most commonly used metals in bone implants.
What is a dental implant?
We explain what it is.
- A dental implant is a screw made of biocompatible materials.
- These screws are anchored in the maxillary bone and their function is to artificially replace the root of the tooth.
- Then, over the dental implant is placed a dental prosthesis, which is called dental crown, which is like a normal tooth for all purposes (same functionality and appearance).
- The implants are titanium structures that are placed in the maxillary bone to replace the lost teeth, which allows us to replace the natural piece with an artificial piece with better functionality and the same or better aesthetics.
The biological basis of dental implants:
Special property of titanium fusion with bone, called osseointegration (“bone” – bone; “integration” – the fusion or union with), is the biological basis of success of dental implants. When the teeth are lost, the bone that supports the teeth is also lost; the placement of dental implants stabilizes the bone, preventing its loss. In addition to replacing lost teeth, implants help maintain the shape and density of the jaw bone. This means that they also support the facial skeleton and, indirectly, the structures of the soft tissues – tissues of the gums, cheeks and lips. Dental implants help to eat, chew, smile, talk and look completely natural. This functionality imparts social, psychological and physical well-being.
Benefits of dental implants
- Implants are the best solution to the loss of one or several teeth.
- Simple intervention, safe, definitive and with minimal inconvenience.
- It is important to replace lost teeth to avoid future health and aesthetic problems.
If you are looking for solutions to your dental implants then schedule your appointments with Perio Health Partners, for any type of dental treatment you need to perform.